With news, King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands will make an official State visit to the UK in October, the itinerary is certain to include the glamorous State dinner. It is expect William and Kate will be there. The white-tie event is one of only a handful of occasions on the royal calendar where the royals bring out their tiaras (this is a great excuse to raid the royal jewel vault).
Kate has attended two State banquets thus far. A refresher of her sartorial choices on both occasions: in 2015, the Duchess wore a bespoke red Jenny Packham gown, the Queen Mother's Lotus Flower tiara, the Queen's Diamond Chandelier earrings and Her Majesty's Wedding Gift Bracelet, and a bracelet worn by Queen Mary.
For the 2017 Spanish State banquet, Kate debuted a new bespoke pink Marchesa gown. It featured distinctive flared cuffs, a plunging neckline and a v-neckline at the back.
It was teamed with the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara, Diana's pearl and diamond earrings and the Queen's Ruby and Diamond Floral Bandeau Necklace.
For those interested in sartorial diplomacy, the colours of the Dutch national flag are red, white and blue, but around the world, the Netherlands is closely identified with orange.
More from Dutch Amsterdam:
'If you have ever watched the Dutch national soccer team play football anywhere in the world — or if you’ve been in Amsterdam during Holland’s annual King’s Day celebration (formerly Queen’s Day) — you may wonder why nearly all Dutch people dress in orange during such occasions.
After all, the colors of the official Dutch flag are red, white, and blue. The answer is simple: Orange is the color of the Dutch Royal Family, which hails from the House of Orange.
On royal birthdays, the Dutch tricolor is flown with an orange pennant above it. Each year on April 27, Amsterdam — and indeed the entire county — turns orange. Revelers can be heard to sing, “Oranje boven, oranje boven. leve the Koning!” (Orange on top, Orange on top. Long Live the King!).'
The Netherlands produces approximately nine billion flower bulbs annually. Of those bulbs, the tulip (in a variety of colors) remains the most popular and widely recognized bulb by gardeners worldwide. Below, an aerial photo of tulip fields.
Designers and Retailers:
- Alexander McQueen Jenny Packham Temperley London Erdem Roland Mouret
- Nordstrom Net-A-Porter The Outnet My Theresa Matches Fashion Harrods
- ShopBop Neiman Marcus Bergdorf Goodman FarFetch StyleBop
- Jimmy Choo Gianvito Rossi LK Bennett Kiki McDonough Links of London Robinson Pelham
- To view jewels and tiaras available in royal vault, pop over to the wonderful Her Majesty's Jewel Vault.
Before You Get Started:
- Leave a comment with your suggestions. Please include links to the designer/retailer in order for me to obtain images and to share your selection.
- I would be very grateful if you could include the colour of your accessories, as links to retailers can often land on shoes where several colours are available.
- Don't forget to leave a name or a moniker in order to ensure I can appropriately credit your look.
- The look can simply consist of one item, for example, a dress. If you wish, however, you can include footwear, a tiara, jewellery, a clutch, bag, etc. It can be as simple or as detailed as you want. Remember you're the stylist!
- Feel free to choose pieces already in Kate's closet.
- Please submit one look only.
- Submissions for the post showcasing all looks will be accepted until midnight on Monday, 6 August.
Happy styling! I'm very excited to see your submissions :)
On the Cambridge front, Hello! reports the family are expected to return from Mustique this week. On Saturday, William and Harry's friend Charlie van Straubenzee is marrying Daisy Jenks in Surrey. Harry is best man at the wedding and according to photographers on Twitter, William will also be there. There's a possibility Kate will join him.