Thursday, 29 June 2017

Kate Reveals Wimbledon "Was Part of My Growing Up", Carole's Crush on Federer & Royals to Attend Althorp Service for Diana!

In our last post, we looked back at Kate's relationship with Wimbleon ahead of her attending as Royal Patron for the first time on Monday. We discussed how the official role would see duties associated with the All England Tennis Club expand and vary from what we've previously seen. It would appear that is the very much the case as it has been revealed the Duchess gave an interview for a new documentary celebrating ninety years of Wimbledon.


I think one can safely say it's by far the most candid, fun and open interview Kate has given. It's full of delightful nuggets recounting Kate's fond memories of attending the tournament. Kate's passion for Wimbledon is abundantly evident, it's been a part of her life long before she became a member of the royal family.  More from The Mirror's article:

'The 35-year-old, who became patron of the All England Tennis Club last year, said: “I have watched Wimbledon, that was very much part of my growing up. “I was really taken by Agassi and Sampras, Ivanisevic and Steffi Graf. Those are my first memories. 
Kate also said she queued for hours to get into the tournament before joining the Royal Family, adding: “Being able to go into Wimbledon and be part of an amazing atmosphere is special.” She said: “It inspires young people including myself. Every time Wimbledon is on I am thinking ‘Yes, I could do the same’ and get out the racket. Sadly, not the same results.”

Kate's parents also adore the sport and the most insightful quotes come from the stories she shared about them.

'And recalling a Royal Box gaffe, she said: “My father is not going to appreciate this but we were walking past Tim Henman and had just seen Sampras play."My dad said ‘Hi Pete’. I was mortified.

We knew the Middleton ladies were fond of Roger Federer, however it seems Carole has a particular fondness for the 'Prince of Tennis' :)

'Roger [Federer] is my mother’s heartthrob. I don’t think she will mind me saying that! I think he probably knows that too.'

Kate also revealed she asked her doctor if she could attend the 2013 Wimbledon final when she was eight months pregnant but he told her 'definitely not'. More from the Mail Online:

'I was very heavily pregnant. I wrote to him [Murray] afterwards saying sorry for not being there.'

The BBC shares the following on the documentary which includes interviews with tennis greats including Bjorn Borg, John McEnroe, Billie Jean King, Virginia Wade, Rod Laver, Roger Federer, Pete Sampras, Martina Navratilova, Chris Evert and Andy Murray. "With The Championships celebrating 90 years of coverage on the BBC, Sue Barker sets off around the world in a special BBC One documentary to find out what is it about the green grass of Wimbledon that makes us all become tennis fans for two weeks every summer. On her travels Sue meets the men and women who have been instrumental in shaping the world's most prestigious and oldest tennis Championships. Legends. These are their stories as never told before, emotional and self-deprecating, revealing how their lives and careers were changed by the tournament."

BBC

Kate wore her red Armani suit for the interview. The Duchess debuted the suit in April when the young royals visited The Global Academy in support of Heads Together.


Made in Italy, the $848 single-breasted suit features a dart-seam front zip jacket, round collar and pencil skirt. The suit is from the Armani Collezioni line. Armani Collezioni provides made-to-measure tailored suits and workwear for both men and women. Armani is renowned for soft silhouettes and smart tailoring, and each and every detail in this collection is carefully chosen and constructed. Collezioni focuses on more wearable designs for the working man or woman, rather than the haute couture-inclined pieces of its parent brand Armani.

Armani

For those wishing to 'Repli-Kate' the look, the outstanding alternative by Tahari ASL remains available at Dillard's (with thanks to Kate's Closet). The $130 Stretch Crepe 2 Piece Skirt Suit incorporates many of the elements of Kate's Armani suit.

Dillard's

We can also see Kate wore her favourite Mirabelle Lolita earrings.

Mirabelle


Sue Barker: Our Wimbledon will screen on BBC1 on Sunday at 5.20pm.

************

We also have several other updates to share. Earlier today, the Palace confirmed The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend a private service to re-dedicate the grave of Diana, Princess of Wales at Althorp House on Saturday 1 July. The service falls on what would have been her 56th birthday and will be conducted by the Archbishop of Canterbury. Prince George and Princess Charlotte will join their parents along with Diana's family including her brother Earl Spencer and her sisters. Prince Charles will not be in attendance - he will be in Canada with the Duchess of Cornwall. 


The 20th anniversary coincides with a project to 're-enhance' Diana's resting place. More from the Althorp website:

'Redesign of The Oval Lake Marks Initial Stage of Garden Project at Althorp, the Spencer Family’s historic English Estate, in the First Major Revamp of the Gardens in 350 Years. The Oval Lake where Diana, Princess of Wales, was laid to rest on September 6, 1997, is undergoing an extensive redesign to honour her memory. It will be completed in time for the 20th anniversary of her death, in August 2017.
The island is located at the centre of the Spencer family’s 500-year-old ancestral estate, Althorp, which spans 13,000 acres surrounding its walled 500-acre park. Althorp, located 70 miles from London in Northamptonshire, England, has been the Spencers’ historic home for the past 18 generations, since it was built in 1508. The island at Althorp is in the process of undergoing remodeling, along with other parts of Althorp’s gardens.
The ambitious project at Althorp, which Earl Spencer’s wife, Countess Spencer is leading, will constitute the first transformation of the historic grounds since they were originally designed 350 years ago by Andrรฉ Le Nรดtre – King Louis XIV of France’s principal gardener who masterminded the gardens of Versailles.
While Althorp is open to the public in July, August and at other select times during the year, there is no public access to the island itself.'

It's important to note the service is private and will not be covered by the media. It's possible car arrival/departure photos may emerge. Several readers on social media asked why the Palace made the announcement. Peter Hunt shared this "Officials say they've made public a private service because it's the 20th ann of Diana's death and it would be difficult to keep it secret." and Richard Palmer tweeted "I guess they are announcing it so the nation knows they are paying tribute on the anniversary of her birthday."

************

Royal reporters confirmed the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visited the headquarters of the Secret Intelligence Service MI6 earlier today.

Richard Palmer Twitter Feed

***********

And finally, news Kate's Temperley London Cypre Frill Top is now available to purchase. The Duchess wore the piece in April for a Heads Together radio interview with BBC Radio 1.


The £395 'almond' top is described as "This slinky, fine-knit Temperley London top is detailed with a geometric pointelle design. Frilled ruffles trim the banded edges, and layered panels accent the chest. Long sleeves. Semi-sheer." It's available at multiple retailers including Net-A-Porter, ShopBop and the Temperley London website.

Temperley London

Net-A-Porter shares the following information "Temperley London's Pre-Fall '17 collection is inspired by Andrey Remnev's paintings of women in Renaissance-style clothing. This 'Cypre' sweater is finely spun with pointelle patterns that are as delicate and precise as lace. It's ruffled along the cuffs, hem and bust - the latter is placed to conceal your lingerie."

Temperley London

The top also comes in black, dusty blue and cameo pink. The pretty dress version is now available on the Temperley London website.

Temperley London

We'll see you tomorrow for Kate's visit to the V & A museum.

48 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun interview, and can't wait to see the clips.

    I can't help but speculate about the service on Saturday. I know Meghan is in London visiting Harry and I can't imagine he would leave her at KP while he attends the private service. I do respect the family's privacy but also can't contain my curiosity. I can't believe it has been 20 years. I was only 11 when Diana died but still remember that night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah Maryland USA29 June 2017 at 03:20

      I was six years old and it is one of my earliest memories. I remember being at my grandmas house and my mom walking out into the living room in shock telling us. She loved diana. She walk up super early during college to watch her wedding as I did for Kate and Williams wedding

      Delete
    2. If MM is in London, I'm sure she will be at Harry's side. He, too, deserves the support.

      I cannot believe it has been 20 years since Diana's death. :-(

      Delete
    3. Sharyn from AUS29 June 2017 at 08:12

      I wondered the same thing about Megan as well. Her visit to London seems timely. I think it is good that Harry will have her there.

      I was also 11 when Diana died. I still remember where I was and what was happening around me when I first heard the news.

      Delete
    4. I was 16 when Diana died.
      There are three things in history, were I will always remember, where I was and what I was doing, when I heard the news.
      September 11
      The fall of the Berlin wall.
      The death of Princess Diana.

      I was listening to the radio with my mum in my native Germany and we were shocked to the core. This wonderful woman dead! I had to cry.
      I can't imagine what Prince William and Prince Harry must have been going through.
      She surely must be happy when she sees what has become of her sons.

      Regards, Kersti

      Delete
  2. I hope Harry gets to have Meghan by his side at the memorial. That would be such a comfort to him and it isn't an official event. I hope he accompanies her to Wimbledon.

    I agree, Charlotte. I think this seems like it is the most fun and relaxed interview so far from Kate. Kind of reminiscent of her fun comments she made while holding the safety as William scaled down that climbing wall. I really wonder what Michael will think of her comment. Saying "Hi, Pete". How cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah Maryland USA29 June 2017 at 03:19

    Even though I would love to see more pics of George and Charlotte I understand why the event is private. I also think they had to announce it because usually the estate is open for touring on Diana's birthday so it would probably be closed that day if they are holding a special service. It breaks my heart that George and Charlotte will never know Diana. My dads dad died 10 years (quite suddenly) before I was born and I wish more than anything that I got to meet him. I bet William tells George and Charlotte amazing stories about Diana as my dad and grandma tell me about my grandfather
    I'm not saying I know exactly how I feel because my grandpa wasn't a world famous figure but I do know the pain of never knowing a grandparent

    And as for Kate's suit, still dislike it. The proportions are weird

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does look like a fun interview.

    Regarding the rededication ... I cannot begin to imagine the emotions involved. I just hope the family has complete privacy on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlotte, another great post. Good info. Thank you. There remains, in me, a quiet sadness when I remember the time I heard of Diana, Princess of Wale's car accident and eventual death. I am glad her sons are committed to continuing her legacy of charitable works and acts of kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy tennis. Played myself in college. Wimbledon is one of my favorites. Thanks again, Charlotte. Looking forward to Wimbledon 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy tennis. Played myself in college. Wimbledon is one of my favorites. Thanks again, Charlotte. Looking forward to Wimbledon 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The most candid, fun and open interview that the Duchess of Cambridge has ever given is about TENNIS. ๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜‚๐ŸŽพ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How many interviews has she done though?

      One after the engagement announcement, one about the queen, and now this one. I think this one is the one that most lets her be herself.

      Delete
  9. I also remember. That lovely summer morning in 1997, and I, a sulky teenager, asking why so much fuss. My mother telling me Diana was very young to die. And my spontaneous, callous exclamation: " young? But she is 36!" 20 years later, I realise fully how young she was. And how young she will remain, eternally beautiful, vulnerable and caring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "eternally beautiful, vulnerable and caring". very sweet way to put that Natacha.

      Delete
  10. What an emotional day Saturday will be, especially for William and Harry. I bet C & C fled the country in anticipation. Ha! Although this Canadian tour was planned well in advance. Enjoying all the posts and comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "fled the country" might be exactly right, Teri, as the memorial service was planned in advance also is my guess. :)

      Delete
    2. Fled indeed. I suspect that their trip was planned ages ago. They want to be as far away as possible.

      Delete
    3. The Canadian anniversary celebration is a really big deal. If the Queen were still traveling overseas she would have been there. It was known before W&C's Canadian tour that C&C would represent HM and the government on the occasion. There will be festivities and banquets and horses and such with the PM and other dignitaries.
      I don't think it unlikely that the memorial was auspiciously and conveniently scheduled, to save all concerned a most awkward time. Diana's birthday is an appropriate day. I doubt Charles would have attended anyway; this gives them a diplomatic and reasonable excuse. If the memorial had been scheduled for when they were home it would have looked bad for them to miss it or bad for the Spencers to appear to snub Charles.
      WCH's July diaries are filling up and August will probably include other Diana-related activities.

      Delete
  11. Rebecca - Sweden29 June 2017 at 09:01

    How nice to see her doing more interviews. And I love how relaxed it seems to be. It's the right amount of "open and revealing" while still being very non-open and innocent, in a good way! A great balance between being personal but not private, if that makes sense. And her standard camera outfit with a proper suit works really well!

    The Diana event first confused me why they would announce it. But I saw that Althorp is usually open that day and people would wonder why it was closed and press would call around and try to get out information from people. This way the press knows what's going on and people wont have to deal as much with the press calling and trying to figure out stuff. Hopefully at least.

    Nice that William and Kate had another event. And noone can complain over a visit to MI6 being embargoed and non-pictured :P

    Looking forward to seeing Kate tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't touch anything while at MI6. Leave no fingerprints. lol
      They probably have automatic retinal scan. :)
      Don't know that that visit would give me the warm fuzzies, although they hopefully gained some good information on anti-terrorism measures, etc.

      Delete
    2. Personal but not private is a good way to describe it Rebecca, although Michael might disagree. :)

      Delete
    3. They may have wanted everyone to know that the renovation was made, first of all (there had been complaints regarding the upkeep of it). And, that those renovations were now, after a year's work, completed.

      Delete
    4. Rebecca, I agree with you and Jo that it was thoughtful to spare people who might have planned to visit Althorp on July 1 from finding themselves in front of closed doors wondering what was going on.

      I also think it is respectful to keep the rededication service private and to keep public focus on Canada's official 150th anniversary celebrations.

      Delete
  12. What a great day for updates Charlotte! You must be busy! I always watched Wimbledon on the TV in Canada during the years of Evert, Connors, McEnroe, Borg.... I look forward to the program on Sunday night. It's great that Kate is participating in the televised interview and sharing her perspective growing up as someone who queued for regular tickets. When i lived in England I considered going to Wimbledon to see it live but getting there seemed problematic to me without a car and such. Regret it now.

    July 1st is such a significant date for the Canadian in me. It is Canada's birthday, 150th. Read an interesting article about Charles' involvement with First Nations languages over there. The interviewer gave a different side of Charles, his interest in people. He is in Nunavut today and Ottawa on Saturday. Important to have a Royal, and a senior one, there for such a significant Canada Day. Then there is Diana's birthday. She would have been 56, 9 years younger than I am. Like others I remember the day she died--I saw the Quebec newspaper on my cousin's breakfast table with the huge headline "Diana Mort." Whoa. I was driving back to Toronto from Montreal and for the whole 6 hour journey the radio station played solemn music and had somber interviews. Diana also celebrated her birthday in Canada in 1983, in Edmonton. There is an article about it at www.cbc.ca/news/Edmonton/July-1-1983-princess-diana-spends-her-Birthday-in-Edmonton-1.3659599. It was her 22nd birthday and she wore a beautiful red silk gown and tiara. "She was the envy of every woman" the commentator said. If only they had known! They flew back to England that night to a waiting Prince William.

    As others have said, a heads up that Althorp will be closed on Saturday is good for tourists who might have wanted to visit. My prayers for the family as they attend the rededication.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking forward too that interview

    ReplyDelete
  14. Queen of the South29 June 2017 at 13:44

    I can't wait to see the interview. Slowly but surely Kate is stepping out of her comfort zone. And Wimbledon is definitely her hoen turf.
    I have a feeling that Wimbledon will be for Kate what Ascot is for HM. The very first event that gets put in her diary and while she is there for work it is very much pleasure as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or she is stepping into a zone that has now become more comfortable.

      Delete
    2. Yes! I'm really glad to see the patronage for Wimbledon go to someone who clearly has a passion for tennis!
      I know that part of the royal gig is sometimes being involved in events and groups that one doesn't necessarily have as great an interest in, but it also only makes sense to try and match up patronages to interested patrons as much as possible--it benefits everyone.

      Delete
  15. Kate, Texas, USA29 June 2017 at 15:20

    Lovely post! I love this time of year and waching Wimbledon! My dad was an avid player and always had me on a court as a child. Sadly, there was no Wimbledon in my future. :) It's on my bucket list to be there as a spectator one day!

    Kate has really come into her own. What a perfect match (no pun intended) with becoming patron. Kate will do an amazing job in this role. I am really looking forward to hopefully seeing the interview or snips of it. By the pictures posted and bits I have read, Kate looks so relaxed. She looks wonderful!

    Althorp.... Wow. On my recent trip to the U.K., I took a day and headed to Althorp. It is unbelievably beautiful! I wanted to pay my respects to Princess Diana as the 20th anniversary of her death approaches. I had the privilege to meet Lord Spencer (Diana's brother) who happened to be in the gift shop. He was very warm and welcoming. Diana's resting place is peaceful and serene. A perfect setting. Everything absolutely beautiful. I think it's a lovely and fitting tribute to attend a service on what would be Diana's 56th birthday. I do hope George and Charlotte attend and I really hope it stays completely private. William and Harry have opened themselves and been so honest about how the death of their mother affected them. They deserve some moments of privacy. Still hard to believe it's been 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate,
      You and Kate can commiserate together when you meet about your lost illustrious Wimbledon trophies. ๐Ÿ†, lol
      So cool that you got to visit Althorp Kate, and, meet Earl Spencer. I would have been so happy to meet him. That is such a seeet memory bonus. I hope the things in the gift shop are quality. It would seem weird otherwise.

      Delete
    2. My grandmother and I were at Althrop over 15 years ago, and the Earl was in the gift shop then, too. He must spend quite a bit of time there. :) He was gracious and signed a book that we bought. I still have it today.

      Delete
    3. Kate, I'm so happy that you were able to visit Althorp. What a special memory. I visited a number of years ago and it meant so much to me. And, as the third person commenting on Earl Spencer, yes, he must spend a lot of time in the gift shop. ;-) I too had the pleasure of meeting him and found him to be very gracious and appreciative of the fact that people wanted to pay their respects to his sister.

      Delete
    4. sweet, RF. Again, was the quality of inventory in the gift shop what you had expected?

      Delete
    5. Yes, SG. I was impressed with the inventory. Various higher-end items including Earl Spencer's Tribute Book with the text of his eulogy (I cherish my signed copy, as you can imagine).

      Delete
  16. I'm surprised to see Kate doing an interview, but I'm glad she did and look forward to watching it (or seeing clips). This is one of my favorite suits on her, too. Great color and fit.

    I saw bits about Harry's last interview and how a biography on Camilla is coming out? I don't mind Harry doing interviews (in fact, I actually like getting to hear more from the young royals than what we get in pictures), but I can absolutely understand how his honest about his struggles with his role could be misconstrued in the wake of the terrible attacks that have occurred. I have more sympathy for him than for Camilla, but in this instance especially. I think releasing a biography about her right around the anniversary of Diana's death is so completely insensitive and ridiculous. The publishing date could easily have been pushed back--I mean, come on. Are they blind?

    Speaking of Diana, I really hope the service at Althorp is private and calm for the princes. I hope they're able to reflect and grieve properly and in privacy. They deserve that. I also hope that Meghan attends with Harry, but I guess we'll have to wait and see (or wait and hear, rather).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is their visit to MI6 or the recording of the Wimbledon interview listed in the CC?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am trying to think if Catherine attended a family event similar to this when she was dating William, before they were engaged. Or any royal girlfriend. It seems immediate family only. I don't know how Meghan could be included and not more Spencer relatives. I really am surprised it was announced by KP. Could some reporter have found out about it and it was decided better to announce officially than have it appear "secret."
    It is also the twentieth anniversary of my own mother's death. I think the date was well-chosen, for several reasons-one being to separate it from more public memorials closer to the date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was announced because she was a member of the RF and she will always be the mother and grandmother of future kings. IMO, it was very fitting for KP to announce the rededication. It also gives W&H a chance to honor her in a way that they have total control over, unlike her funeral. It's also a nice way to honor their Spencer relatives.

      Regarding W&K, I suspect that they thoroughly enjoyed their privacy during their courtship years and I would not be at all surprised if Meghan accompanies Harry to Althorp on Saturday. As William has done with Kate, I'm sure Harry would like the special lady in his life to share this with him...

      Delete
    2. Will be very interested to hear whether Meghan attends - why wouldn't Harry want the support. Holding a long-shot hope for Kate and Meghan in the royal box at the tennis on Monday:)

      Delete
  19. I usually love Kate's choices, but I really don't care for the Temperley London Cypre Frill Top. I don't care for the peek-a-boo/see-through effects, I think a more modest blouse would be appropriate. All the frills are a bit much. It doesn't appear to improve with any of the color choices. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  20. One thing is very clear to me, royalfan: if Meghan attends the family only service, an engagement announcement could not be far behind. I do wonder why she would arrive so far ahead of Saturday. I think she only arrived a day at so ahead of the polo game.
    We may never know if she attends. Since it is a Spencer/Cambridge family event, and not strictly a RF occasion, perhaps protocol will be forgotten and personal feelings considered. Although...the Archbishop is officiating.
    I think it would be nice if they could all arrive the evening before, have dinner together perhaps and have the service early the next morning-before press and crowds could gather around the gates.
    At any rate, I hope this memorial replaces some of the bad memories from Diana's official funeral with some kinder, gentler ones for William and Harry. I cried through the whole thing. I can't imagine...Then my Mother, exactly three months later. She was old, she had a good life, she died at home, we were allowed to grieve in private. She didn't even follow the BRF, but she had been moved by Diana's death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely agree with everything you said, 6.23.

      Both boys deserve some good karma; I do hope it's Harry's turn to enjoy a loving and supportive relationship.

      Delete
  21. I was 10 when she died and remember finding out in the hallway at church and being so sad. Glad they are remembering her death with a special service and so sad she missed out on seeing what wonderful men her boys have become and getting to know Kate, George and Charlotte, whom she would have adored.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Also on another topic I hate that white top Kate wore. I almost always love her clothes but I'm not sure why she picked this one...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so glad they are honouring HRH Diana the Princess of Wales like this. I love her and miss her and still cry every anniversary of her death. I hate that Camilla is in the picture Diana would still be alive if it weren't for her and Charles affair. If she was under royal protection she would never been in the car with a drunk driver etc etc. Oh my heart bleeds for those boys. Diana should have been here to see her grandchildren and meet Kate and Meghan. I went to Althorp and met Diana's brother and it is a beautiful place for her to rest. I wish her HRH status wasn't taken away by the queen when they divorced. It doesn't matter though she is the Queen of our Hearts and I'm very glad Prince Charles has agreed to never give Camilla the title of Queen this is only right to do to respect the memory of Diana and her sons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, I do understand where you're coming from. Trust me. But I'm not sure that Charles has agreed to anything regarding Camilla's title. The suggestion that she will be known as Princess Consort was, IMO, a PR move to diffuse the reactions to a Queen Camilla.

      Delete
    2. Oh you very well may be right RoyalFan. I really hope she is never called Queen Camilla but I guess this is up to Prince Charles.

      Delete

Comments are most welcome! Constructive discussion is always encouraged but off topic or hateful remarks will not be published.

We ask you use a name when posting (a pseudonym such as the name of a royal you like or anything you wish). If you do not wish to use the sign in options, simply select the "Name/URL" option on the drop down menu and insert your name, and if you wish the country/state you're from. You can leave the URL blank.

If there are a large number of comments, it is necessary to click the 'Load More' button at the end of the comments section to see the latest additions.

Kate's Favourites