Wednesday, 6 November 2013

Kate Loves: Jewellery (Earrings)

Continuing on with our 'Kate Loves: Jewellery' series, we'll be taking a look at the Duchess's collection of earrings. From classic pearls to diamond studs and fabulously coloured drop earrings, Kate's earrings are arguably the most exciting part of her jewellery choices. We're going to take a look at a wide variety of pieces, both pre and post wedding.

There's quite a lot to remember about Kate's appearance at the 2008 Boodles Boxing Ball; it was the first time we saw William and Kate side by side at a social occasion and Kate's beautiful pink Issa gown (such a pity it's unlikely to get another public outing). That evening the then Ms. Middleton accessorised with a striking pair of Tiffany earrings (with thanks to the brilliant My Small Obsessions). The £745 Elsa Peretti Mesh Earrings are sterling silver with round brilliant diamonds.

PA/Tiffany & Co.

Kate in 2007 wearing a pair of Jigsaw earrings. She was working for the brand as an accessories buyer during this time.


Zimbabwean jeweller and sculptor Patrick Mavros creates works inspired by the natural world of his native Matabeleand and the tribal customs which accompany his culture. It is no surprise Mr. Mavros's work caught Kate's eye; she was photographed wearing his £150 Ndoro Dangle Silver Earrings several times pre-engagement.

Patrick Mavros

Ndoros are Southern Africa's most striking totems of prestige and beauty. They are originally a sea shell which has been ground flat into their distinctive whirl shape. The sterling silver earrings feature five small dangling ndoros.

Patrick Mavros

Moving on to Kate's exquisite collection of Kiki McDonough earrings, the Duchess owns several pairs which have served her well across a wide variety of official and personal appearances. A simple pair of stud earrings are the perfect understated finish to any look. Kate chooses Kiki's Grace earrings.



The white topaz stud earrings are described as one of Kiki's 'most popular styles', and these delicate earrings can be worn out everyday. Each earring features a round gemstone surrounded by small diamonds set in 18ct gold.

Kiki McDonough

For Kate's first Christmas with the Royal family at Sandringham in 2011, she debuted a gorgeous pair of 18ct gold and diamond green amethyst earrings. The £1,900 pair were originally available in citrine on the designer's website and are believe to have been a customised version for Kate, ordered by Prince William as a gift for his new wife.


The Duchess is a fan of citrine jewellery and among her prettiest pieces are the Kiki Classic Citrine Pear Drop Earrings. A simple and extremely wearable style, these earrings are set in 18ct gold and inject a vibrant pop of colour to the face.

PA/Kiki McDonough

Next, another pair of Kiki citrine earrings: the 'Eternal Citrine Cushion and Diamond'.


Kiki McDonough

The £1,200 pieces are described this way:

'Sophisticated and chic, these beautiful yellow gold drop earrings dazzle with vibrant citrine and diamonds, and are equally stunning worn casually during the day or to add drama to an evening look.'

The Duchess wore them to Cheltenham this year.


One of Kate's most colourful pairs of earrings are her Kiki Classic Peridot, Blue Topaz and Diamond Earrings.

Kiki McDonough

The Duchess also has a pair of blue topaz and diamond hoops by Ms. McDonough. They're very eye-catching and add youthful glamour to any look.


We now take a look at Kate's gorgeous Links of London Effervescence Bubble Stiletto Earrings, which she wore for her first red carpet appearance following the royal wedding - the 2011 Ark Gala.


The $225 pieces are described as:

'Sterling silver bubbles come together to form tactile clusters on these Effervescence Bubble Stiletto Earrings. Lavender iolite stones echo the iridescence of bubbles, creating perfect jewellery for evening glamour.'

Dorothée Pugnet, Head of Women's Jewellery at Links of London said, "The Effervescence collection can be treasured by all women. It represents joy and celebration and will have a special bond with each woman who wears it."

Links of London

The Duchess wore her Vinnie Day Gold Plated Logo Leaf Earrings during the 2011 Royal Tour of Canada. The ever popular pair retail for £114, the hoops themselves are 1.5cm with the leaf hanging off each hoop being 1.5 cm. Vinnie Day's collections are inspired by different countries and the original Leaf Collection, is a direct reflection of the landscape and acacia leaves of the Great Rift Valley where Vinnie was brought up.


Canadian Heritage Flickr/Vinnie Day

I do rather like the Duchess's Cassandra Goad Temple of Heaven Earrings. The 9ct yellow gold pieces retail for £1,365 and are most definitely an investment piece.

Cassandra Goad

Below we see Kate wearing the earrings during a visit to the Imperial War Museum last year.


Part of Kate's signature style is her ability to mix high-end designer pieces with affordable high street items and this applies to her choice of earrings, too. In September 2012, the Duchess wowed in a floor length bespoke Alexander McQueen gown for a state dinner in Malaysia hosted by His Majesty The Agong. This was the one occasion where many of us royal fans, bloggers and reporters felt there was a strong possibility we would see the Duchess don a tiara.


Instead, Kate selected minimalist jewellery, opting for £140 Double Leaf Earrings by Scotland-born designer, Catherine Zoraida. The 18ct gold plated silver earrings are undoubtedly a very pretty pair, however, many felt this was an occasion to bring out pieces from The Royal Collection. There was a lot going on with the dress, while it was beautiful.

Catherine Zoraida

We also saw Kate debut a couple of colourful new pairs of affordable earrings during last year's tour beginning with the £36 Serretta Red Sponge Coral Earrings.

My Flash Trash

Kate's Aqua Chalcedony Disc Stud Earrings by Azuni retail for just £25. They are lovely pieces and add a colourful flair to any look, and are described as, "Old meets new with these unique, antique style stud earrings". The earrings are textured 24ct matt gold plate finish with semi precious stone drops.

Azuni London

Let's take a look at Kate's stunning Beaut Jewellery Ava-Eva Earrings. The dazzling Art Deco designs are part of the brand's Vintage Style Collection. The handmade silver earrings with 9ct gold hoops and crystal paste stones retail for £195.

Beaut

Kate first wore the shimmering earrings with a one-shoulder Jenny Packham gown at the National Memorial Aboretum dinner at St James's Palace in 2011.


Like many woman, Kate's trusty pearl earrings are her go-to accessory for many of her looks. They remain a classic, add sophistication and are often considered the ultimate pair of earrings to have. Kate's Triple Stone Round Pearl Drop Earrings are by UK brand Heavenly Necklaces.


Back to our post topic, the pearl earrings are a pair of graduated brilliant cut cubic zirconia and 9mm crystal drop earrings.

Heavenly Neckalces

Kate's other favoured pair of pearls are from Annoushka Jewellery, while the hoops are from her Kiki McDonough Green Amethyst Earrings as mentioned earlier in the post.


Below, we look at Kate's diamond and emerald earrings.

PA

There are quite a few other pairs in Kate's collection, but unfortunately several of them remain unidentified, whilst I've including other pieces - including Kate's engagement, bridal and borrowed jewellery - in previous posts. Please do share your favourites in the comments section! :)

50 comments:

  1. Charlotte, thanks for the fun post!!! Who doesn't love a beautiful pair of earrings?!?! I think my favorite are any of her Kiki McDonough earrings. LOVE all of them! Really love the "Grace" style. Simple and elegant. I also love the Andrew Prince pearls. Classic and beautiful. She wore the Andrew Prince earrings for the Diamond Jubilee service at St. Paul's. Loved the picture you posted! Reminiscing getting to be there that day and seeing her in the carriage procession back to Buckingham and the balcony appearance. Kate looked AMAZING....I was in awe!!!!

    Hope you are having a wonderful week! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate is beautiful and she has a lot of good taste. I love all the earrings!

      Delete
  2. Hello again Charlotte,
    My favorite are definitely the Beaut Jewelry Ava Eva Earrings, they are simply stunning! Beautiful and elegant. Do you know what earrings Kate was wearing when she and William attended the military awards and she had the gorgeous black velvet Alexander McQueen gown on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Such beautiful things! I wonder, are those fake lashes she is wearing at the Malaysian bankett?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look like she's wearing fake eyelashes on that occasion doesn't it?

      Delete
  4. Gosh what a mighty lot of earrings. How do u decide what to wear when.!!! I loooove all of them. Soo tasty!! Thx for the post my dear!! Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jean from Lancs.6 November 2013 at 13:14

    I love the fact that she wears some earrings at a price most young women can afford, but is also collecting some real stunners.
    She certainly wears earrings more than any other jewellery.
    The Duke looked very dashing yesterday at the Korean War Memorial with the President of South Korea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How could I have missed Kate wearing the emeralds? They are lovely! Any info on when she wore them or their provenance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The event was the Natural History Museum when she wore (2nd time) the green mulberry dress.

      Delete
  7. I've found a great "repli-Kate" for the Kiki McDonough citrine drop earrings: http://pbj.womanwithin.com/products/detail-Simulated-Birthstone-18k-Yellow-Gold-over-Sterling-Silver-Drop-Earrings-48797.cfm

    They're only $29.99, and they'll send you a 40% off coupon if you sign up for their emails (obviously you can unsubscribe later if you aren't interested in their clothes, which tend to be a bit horrible), which is a great bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melanie from California6 November 2013 at 15:35

    Links of London's Hope Egg earrings are still my all time favorite, but thank you, Charlotte, for bringing some other stunning pairs of earrings to my attention. All the topaz, emeralds and diamonds are beautiful; I had forgotten about some of them. I think my favorite pair, of the earrings on this list, are the blue topaz hoops by Kiki McDonough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Theresa. New York6 November 2013 at 15:36

    Kudos for another great post. I love earrings so especially enjoyed looking over her many pairs with the peridot and blue topaz being my favorite.
    Last night I found a post about Kate's clothes that mentioned that Emilia ??, one of the godparents, is acting as a stylist to Kate. I don't remember where I read it but maybe you can find it. It should interest you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Charlotte for a wonderful post. I love the majority of Kate's earrings and have splurged in getting a number of pairs -- I don't have the figure for her style, so I have to settle for jewelry and shoes!

    I can't decide on a favorite pair, but the thing I love about Kate is that you can purchase items she wears (some easier than others, of course). Some earrings like the Kiki Classic Peridot, Blue Topaz and Diamond Earrings, which she only wore once, I really didn't like when she wore them. Now, however, I am obsessed with them and want them for Christmas! So right now, they are my favorite.

    Even Kate's earrings show a beautiful, classic style that is timeless so even the investment pieces are going to last a lifetime. I love the way she is able to choose the exactly correct earrings for each of her outfits. She has shown that earrings are the perfect finishing touch to any outfit. Even the idea to wear the citrine earrings with blue goes really well, but I never would have thought of it myself. Once again, she's an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't like Kate's jewellery. There's some kind of mess in it. Some of the earnings don't go with her classic outfits. The best ones are the Triple Stone Round Pearl Drop Earrings. I wonder one thing - did Kate wear fake lashes for a state dinner in Malaysia? They looked longer than usually.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kate's options regarding accessories are extremely classic. I would love to see her wear, once in a while, a more "edgy style", more trendy accessories, more according to her age. Like those ethnic Patrick Mavros earrings or the stunning McDonough's topaz and diamond hoops. This being said, the very classic Art Deco Beaut earrings remain one of my favourites :)
    Hugs!
    Z. from Portugal

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this overview! She has renewed my interest in Citrine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. She has the most elegant taste! I loved every pair!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Ms. Charlotte- Love this new post. I love the fact that the Duchess mix & matches her jewellery with expensive & low cost items.

    Now I have a question regardign the Duchcess. I just read that William will be attending the Winter Gala solo. I thought this gala was being brought on by both of them as a couple in their new home. Now the Duchess will not attend. Can you please explain why she is pulling out of this event and there is still 3 weeks to go before the event is to take place. It just seem's funny to me that they would annouce William would be attending solol.

    Thanks for all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT seems from comments today by respected royal reporters that the Charity jumped the gun re the Duchess attending - she has never been down to attend this event. As for the "welcome to opur home" stuff - that's less respected journalists going over the top.

      Events do not take place in their private residence. They take place in rooms within the public area of Kensington Palace - you too could hire that space!

      Not fair IMO to lay any blame with the Cambridges. I think that joint evening engagements are still off the agenda - there is still no full time nanny.

      Delete
    2. Hello Pauline,

      As CP said reporters and magazines such as Hello! jumped the gun. Kate's attendance was never confirmed by the Palace and there was an error on the invitations. The charity must have presumed Kate would be joining William. We will still cover the event on the blog and I know we were all looking forward to it but I do think we'll be seeing more solo engagements as opposed to joint ones in the near future.

      Delete
    3. @CP England & Ms. Charlotte- Thank you for explaining this to me. It is very confusing for someone who does not understand who the royal engagements are arranged. But it still seem's funny to me that Kate would not be by William's side for this big event for his charity Centerpoint. I read last year William made a comment that Kate was really sorry she could not attend becuase of not feeling well. And now this year they have the beautiful baby and she can attend but is not. Could it be that William would perfer her to stay home with baby George?

      And William & Kate should not be blamed for the screw up on someone else's part. But I do have to say I am disappointed that we will not get to see the beautiful Duchess all dressed up and by the side of her handsome hubby.

      Delete
    4. Melanie from California7 November 2013 at 04:33

      Oh! I'm disappointed! I was looking forward to Kate and Taylor Swift finally being in the same room together at the Winter Whites Gala! Two very classy ladies!

      Delete
    5. Jean from Lancs.7 November 2013 at 09:31

      I am not surprised that Catherine will not be going----the affair starts at 5:30 and it seems to me they are arranging things so that most of the time one of them is at home with George and this event would have taken them both away at his bed time.
      The Duke seems to be filling up his engagements, so I guess we will see the Duchess only a few times before Christmas.
      After all British law allows woman a year off for maternity leave--she hasn't taken that much, but seems to be attending things that do not interfere with George's routine. I suspect most women would do that if they could afford to.

      Delete
  16. Just re-reading the post and having the urge to shop....hmmm. Thinking I should have thought to grab some Azuni earrings while shopping in John Lewis last year. Was looking at their jewelry and they have pretty pieces at great prices. There are several things I like. :) Charlotte, are you a fan of Azuni?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kate,

      I am a fan of Azuni, I have a few of their pieces myself and like to pair them with a simple dress as they add a real pop of colour. They're also great value :)

      Delete
  17. Dear Charlotte fantastic post as always! I love all of her earrings. She is always wearing such a beautiful pair. I love her vinnie day ones so much I have to get a pair!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rose from Montreal, Canada6 November 2013 at 20:11

    Hi Charlotte,
    I scrolled back to the beginning and couldn't find an earring I didn't like. I love jewellery especially earrings. Thank you so much for the wonderful work you do to keep us informed on everything. I am looking forward to the Duchess having an engagement tomorrow. Until tomorrow, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Does Kate wear fake eyelashes? In some of the photos her eyelashes appear to be darker and longer, either she does or has really good mascara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa. New York7 November 2013 at 01:44

      @ Rose and anon: good catch. I wondered about false eyelashes, too.

      Delete
  20. As I look at all her wonderful earings, I did notice for the first time in a few photos that Kate may have fake lashes? Is it just me, or does anyone else see that The Duchess may be wearing them time to time?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for such a great post, I so look forward to your Kate Loves posts, they are always so interesting and informative. My favorite earrings of Kate's are any of the Kiki McDonough. They are great for casual days as well as fancy evenings. I browse her website frequently and really love all her designs. I wish there was a better picture of the pair Kate wore for Christmas 2011, I'd love to see the stone more clearly. My second favorite pair is the Double Leaf Earrings. Again, they could work well dressed up or down.
    As with the rest of Kate's fashion, she isn't afraid to mix high street jewelry with high dollar dresses. I am thinking of the earrings she wore with that gorgeous blush lace McQueen dress she wore to the Queen's Jubilee church service. What a surprise when it was discovered that they sold for about $50!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Charlotte you do such a great fantastic post as always. Love every single earrings cant just pick one.Andrea from Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sarah from Calif.7 November 2013 at 01:52

    Oh my I love love earrings. My favorite pair shown here ? I thought I could decide but, I will say everyone who enjoys them should have pearls. No they are not my favorite here , although I love hers but...they are simple classy and elegant.
    Okay I'll say it once....I feel like a Christmas tree if I am over bedazzled with jewelry. Yes I love all the sparkle and shine but.....
    I sometimes wonder if Kate feels totally satisfied with a little simple elegance. I think she does:)
    which is nice as Jean said (some of us could actually afford it( if we really wanted it) o h well still undecided on my favorites.
    Thank you Charlotte :) I love earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi charlootte i love the post i love kates earings speciall kiki macdonald charlotte i thought the duchess have a winter gala qith william why sudden change

    ReplyDelete
  25. I absolutely love earrings so I was thrilled to see this post! Thank you! :)

    My favorite pair to date is the blue topaz hoop earrings. I thought she looked sooo sophisticated when she combined them with the up-do. I also think that a larger earring looks better on her, especially when her hair is down.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Greetings, Duchess Kate fans! Earrings are the one jewelry item that I can't leave my home without and when on occasion I somehow manage to leave home without them, I feel naked!

    I have to say that the earrings that really caught my attention were the Cassandra Goad Temple of Heaven Earrings, which no one has commented on thus far. I saw a similar photo of Kate with those earrings a long time ago (taken on the same occasion as Charlotte's photo) and thought they looked amazing on her. The photo was of a side profile too and with Kate's hair up, the earrings really showed up. I was thinking that we would probably not see her in them again because they may be too "daring" for her post-wedding status, but in the post above, they were supposedly worn last year? I guess I thought the photo was older than that.

    Like Lauri from CA, I'd love to see a better picture of the earrings Kate wore for Christmas 2011. Charlotte, do you have such a photo in a previous post of yours?

    Thanks for a fun post!

    Rachel from Arizona

    ReplyDelete
  27. hi, are the earrings from Heavenly necklases or Andrew Prince? thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      They're by Andrew Prince but also sold at Heavenly Necklaces.

      Delete
  28. Many thanks for sharing your opinion here. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Any plated jewelry will have adverse affects of the polident denture cleaning solution and ultimately wear off the plating exposing the brass. Exposed brass to skin is bad…..Dont get caught with green skin from brass touching your skin.
    http://www.empirebling.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those crystal drop pearl earrings worn in the carriage are absolutely gorgeous! Simple, elegant...and regal!

    ReplyDelete
  31. She is so classy and beautiful! Love her style.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Her taste in Diamond Jewelry is great. I love her style.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Her Earrings are really stunning. Great pieces of jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love this type of accessory, earrings that Kate wear are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Earrings that she wear are very special, I love each of them.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Eternal Citrine Cushion and Diamond are my favorite earrings in her collection.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Kate knows how to wear amazing diamond earrings, she is so sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This was such an amazing read. I always find something interesting in your blogs and at artisna.com as well. That is a wonderful place to buy Onine Artisan Silver drop earrings online. Anyway, thanks so much and congrats on your articles!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! Constructive discussion is always encouraged but off topic or hateful remarks will not be published. If you wish to share your name and where you're from without using the sign in options, simply select the "Name/URL" option on the drop down menu and insert your name, and if you wish the country/state you're from. You can leave the URL blank.

If there are a large number of comments, it is necessary to click the 'Load More' button at the end of the comments section to see the latest additions.