Friday, 1 March 2013

Kate Loves: Weddings

Tonight's post is one I've been meaning to write for some time: 'Kate Loves: Weddings'. Over the years Kate has attended numerous weddings, in the early years of William and Kate's courtship we got to know Kate's style and see her interact with William at a selection of friends' and relatives' weddings. She even met the Queen for the very first time at Peter Phillips' wedding. So, let's take a look back at some of the most memorable in chronological order.

A young Kate looked chic in a cream jacket and Karen Millen skirt for the wedding of Rose Astor and Hugh Van Cutsem. It was the first society wedding she attended with William and one of the first events we saw Kate. Prince William was an usher at the event which was also attended by William's former nanny Tiggy Pettifer.


Kate attended the wedding of the Duchess of Cornwall's daughter, Laura Parker Bowles, on 6 May 2006 in the Church of Saint Cyriac, an Anglian church in Lacock, Wiltshire. Laura married Harry Lopes formerly an underwear model for Calvin Klein, now a chartered accountant, who will inherit Gnaton Hall near Plymouth.

William, Kate and Harry joined 400 guests at the reception which was held at Ray Mill, a nearby estate owned by the bride's mother.

Kate looked elegant in a gold brocade coat by Danish label DAY Birger et Mikkelsen with a striking fascinator and statement earrings.

Harry and Laura do make a beautiful couple, don't they?

Kate first met the Queen at Peter Phillips and Autumn Kelly's wedding in May 2008 at Windsor. During the engagement interview Kate spoke about the meeting: "Well I first met her at Peter and Autumn's wedding and again it was in amongst a lot of guests and she was very friendly." It must have been very nerve-racking for Kate especially considering William wasn't there (he was in Kenya for the wedding of Batian Craig, brother of rumoured former flame Jecca Craig). What does one wear to meet the Queen? Kate chose a pink buttoned jacket and a black Issa dress with sheer panels.

Hello! Magazine

Kate spent the day with Harry and Chelsy Davy. The trio appeared to have a wonderful time at the wedding.

Hello! Magazine

Kate and Chelsy enjoyed some dancing at the reception :)

Hello! Magazine

Kate looked stunning in a blue fitted jacket and floral-print dress at the wedding of Lady Rose Windsor and George Gilman in July 2008. I thought Kate's sartorial choices for the event simply stellar, an outfit I would love to see her recycle.

In Style
There was quite a bit of commotion in the market town of Tiverton on April 2010 when Prince William and Kate appeared on the street. The pair were on their way to the wedding of Emilia D'Erlanger and David Jardine-Paterson at the magnificent St. Peter's Church. I have always thought red is Kate's colour and she proved that in a red silk jersey Issa dress.


On 25 October 2010, William and Kate attended the wedding of Harry Meade and Rosemarie Bradford at Northleach , Gloucestershire. The couple looked tanned and relaxed, having just returned from Kenya where William had proposed to Kate. I recall there was endless speculation at the time, but nothing was confirmed until three weeks later when the couple officially announced their engagement.

I loved Kate's outfit, a cobalt blue Issa dress, fitted black dress, black heels and a black wide-brimmed hat adorned with feathers. One of her best wedding looks in my opinion.

Kate took time out from wedding plans in January 2011 for the wedding of her and Prince William's close friends Harry Aubrey Fletcher and Louise Stourton. Kate looked smart in the Dulwich Velvet Coat by London fashion label Libélula, which means dragonfly in Spanish. Teamed with a black Issa dress, Kate was criticised for wearing all black to a wedding but I thought the outfit looked fabulous. The sleek and softly tailored coat with diamanté buckle is a timeless garment and she injected a pop of colour with her Mascaró shoes and clutch. If you're hoping to acquire the Dulwich coat for yourself it is available in black in limited sizes at Monica & Joe for £375.


11 June 2011 was a busy day for the Duchess who proudly watched her husband take part in the Trooping The Colour ceremony in London followed by the wedding of jockey Sam Waley-Cohen and his bride Bella Ballin. Sam Waley-Cohen is well known as the 'royal matchmaker' after apparently helping William and Kate rekindle their romance in 2007.

Baeur Griffin

Kate was accompanied by Pippa and looked chic in a Zara monochrome spot-pattern dress by Zara while Pippa opted for a lime green coat.

Baeur Griffin

Kate's DAY Birger et Mikkelsen coat got another outing at the wedding of Zara Phillips and Mike Tindall at Canongate Kirk Church in Edinburgh, Scotland in July 2011.

Kate was joined by her friend Louise Aubrey-Fletcher for the wedding of Tom Sutton and Harriet Colthurst in Wiltshire in September 2011. The Duchess elected to wear a red lace dress by Collette Dinnigan with a red hat. Interestingly, Carole Middleton has also been photographed wearing the dress!

Sunday Express

Kate joined William and Harry for the wedding of Princess Diana's niece, Emily McCorquodale on June 9 2012 in the Lincolnshire Hamlet of Stock Rochford where the bride grew up on a 1,000 acre farm.

The Duke and Duchess spent quite a while greeting relatives, and it was a lovely opportunity for the Spencer family to get to know Kate.

Another stellar look for Kate, who wore her £795 Katherine Hooker Buxton Coat with her Jenny Packham silk 'De Gournay' dress and a £99 Whiteley hat.

Emily chose a classic wedding gown and looked incredibly happy as she left the church with her husband James Hutt.

Kate wore the Beulah Blossom Dress for the wedding of Marlborough school friend Alice St John Webster in Taunton, Somerset on June 30 2012. The Duchess was joined by William and Pippa for the wedding which took place in St. Mary's Church.

Jenny Sanderson Twitter

Which weddings and looks were your favourite? 


  1. Nice post. You missed Kate at Charlie Savory's Wedding, with a pale pink outfit.

    1. I'm afraid I couldn't include each one in one post so tried to choose the most memorable :)

    2. Oh ok. Nice chooses by the away. I loved the red one!!! The best for me. I also think the first one is lovely.

    3. That was one of her big mistakes. She wore the pale-pink jacket (and the pink shoes) that she also wore to Laura Parker Bowles's wedding, over the cream lace Collette Dinnigan she'd worn on various other occasions, with pink silk flowers in her hair, which was not particularly well coiffed that day. Though I like both the jacket and dress separately, the outfit as a whole didn't work well, and the silk flowers and hair looked terrible. Possibly the jacket and dress without the flowers and with a better hairstyle would have worked.

  2. Ana B. from Brazil1 March 2013 at 12:09

    What an incredible idea, Charlotte! This is, definetely, one of my favourite posts so far!
    In my opinion, Kate looked absolutely stunning at Peter Philips' wedding! Has always been my favourite wedding outfit for her! I just love the pale pink jacket! Stunning, stunning...
    At Zara's wedding, she couldn't have chosen a better hat! She looked lovely that day!
    I'm very fond of the Beulah dress she wore to her Marlbourough friend's wedding. She teamed it with a gorgeous hat!
    My least favourite is, surely, the hat she wore at Laura Lopes wedding. That hat is a little ugly to me =/
    Just as a curiosity, Libélula is also the Portuguese word for dragonfly.
    Thank you for this Charlotte! A very good post! Simply loved it!
    Best wishes of a terrific weekend :)

  3. Hi everybody,
    Here you are my general opinions!

    The Duchess was an incredibly stylish, elegant and classy guest!

    Catherine has an incredible taste in hats, but I don't like at all the hat she wore at the the wedding of Laura Parker Bowles.

    I think that Catherine's colour is not red, but cobalt blue, electric blue. She shines when she wears that colour!

    The wedding gown of Emily McCorquodale is (incredibly) similar to the one of the Duchess of Cambridge!

    Ciao! :)

  4. I love the red Issa dress as well as the Beulah dress... Great post Charlotte, as always! Thank you

  5. Blog roll, please! I miss your curated picks.

  6. Sarah from Calif.1 March 2013 at 13:58

    I just woke up :) didn't exspect this! Looking forward to reading it (and the latest post on The Royal Digest) when I get home from work ! Harry is signing, the kids at work will love that (I work with the Deaf and Hard of Hearing)
    Thank you Charlotte for all your work to bring us these Blogs (especialy with your busy schedule) I love the little community of ladies (from far and near) that you have brought together! (ladies for the most part)
    Happy :) Friday

  7. Jean from Lancs.1 March 2013 at 15:09

    I love the gold brocade coat, especially with the hat she chose for Zara Phillips' wedding.
    In my opinion she always looks well in red and strangely enough also in black.
    Unfortunately, she probably cannot wear black for official events except of course for funerals and Remembrance Day.

  8. What a great post, Charlotte! I love seeing all her sartorial choices for weddings in one post. I agree that she looks fabulous in red! I especially love the red lace dress. Besides the red, I also agree that the blue floral dress with the blue jacket was a great look for Kate. I love seeing the pictures of the October 2010 wedding where they hadn't announced their engagement yet. Such an exciting time - brings back all the memories of excitement from THE wedding :-)

  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

  10. Theresa, from Paris1 March 2013 at 15:32

    Great post ! The only outfit I don't like is the pink and black one. I always find those colours a difficult combinaison and it isn't nicely tailored to my mind. Much too fussy, and the pillbox hat doesn't help. Very eighties ! I absolutely love the black Libélula coat, but wouldn't have worn it for a wedding.
    Love her in red and in the blue cobalt dress. They knew at the time but weren't letting on : it must have been such a sweet feeling for her, treasuring the secret ;-)

  11. Hi Charlotte,

    You do such a fantastic job but you missed a couple of biggies! No space maybe? The second outing of the Day Birger coat in Saint Andrew's is one. Interesting that Kate accented the coat with black. But the one I really miss is where Kate wore the bright blue coat - same coat she later wore to Prince Phillip's birthday celebration. Think it was Nicholas Van Cutsem's wedding I've always wondered who designed that coat. Also the wedding in Austria where Kate wore a striking mustard and black outfit, unusual colors for her, that's never been seen again. Maybe there could be a Kate Loves Wedding 2 Wondered also if anyone knows who the designer was for Kate's shoes at some of those early weddings. Much more interesting than the sledge that showed up at so many later ones.

    1. Kate, Texas, USA2 March 2013 at 05:12

      Anonymous, the coat you are speaking of is my FAVORITE piece! It's the periwinkle blue brocade coat dress by Jacquard. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! She wore it in August 2009 to Nicholas van Cutsem and Alice Hadden-Paton's wedding and again in June 2011 for Prince Phillip's 90th birthday. She wore a light colored dress underneath for the wedding and then a blue underneath for Prince Phillip's birthday. I like both, but like it teamed with the blue dress more. Loved the fascinator she chose for Phillip's party too!

      When Kate wore the mustard and black it was to the wedding of Chiara Hunt to Rupert Evetts in September 2008 in Salzburg, Austria. That evening she changed into a purple halterneck dress, that was SO beautiful!!!

      Purple is my favorite color, so the Jacquard coat dress and the purple halterneck were BIG hits for me!

    2. Kate, the name of the designer of that periwinkle coat is Jane Troughton. "Jacquard" is the type of fabric. It's a type of woven patterned fabric. I actually think the silk of the Duchess's coat is printed, but it has a jacquard-look effect.

  12. I've always wondered who designed that black and white lace pencil skirt. Glad to have a name to put to it. And I agree the outfit worn to Lady Rose Windsor's wedding was terrific. I loved that eggshell-blue fitted jacket over the dress. Just terrific.

    The only thing the Duchess has worn that I just had to have was that Libelula Dulwich coat. I went to great lengths to get it and paid high international shipping fees, but the trouble and expense were worth it. I expect to wear it forever. It looked particularly good over a slim red dress at a performance of the Joffrey's "Nutcracker" ballet.

    Actually, I did buy a Longchamps bag after I saw her carrying one and liked it, but I chose a different color.

  13. Thank you for this excellent post, Charlotte! I missed this series so much :)
    It's great because I had never seen some of the pictures you posted, like the ones of Autumn and Peters wedding! (Autumn is so different now, by the way).

    My favourite look is definetely the black jacket teamed with the cobalt blue dress. I would love to see Kate wearing this dress again. But by favourite of all times is the outfit she wore to the Nicholas Van Cutsem wedding: the one with the blue brocade coat. It was just PERFECT.

    1. Kate, Texas, USA2 March 2013 at 05:17

      I just replied on someone else's post about the same coat dress. It's my favorite!!! It's the periwinkle blue brocade coat dress by Jacquard! She also wore it for Prince Phillip's 90th birthday celebration. I liked it more with the dress and fascinator she wore to Prince Phillip's celebrations. LOVE! As you said, PERFECT!!!!

    2. That's right, Kate. :) She was simply stunning on both occasions!
      Have an excellent week!

  14. My favorite wedding ensemble was the blue dress and black jacket worn to the wedding of Harry Meade. I thought the Duchess looked beautiful in that outfit and I love that they had a little secret between them that day, their engagement. Definitely my choice as the most lovely look for a wedding! Thank you, Charlotte, I always start my day after dropping my children off at school with a cup of tea and this blog. It's the only one I look at and you have my deepest appreciation for the skillful way you manage it. Kim from Arizona

  15. Lovely collection! Great inspiration for wedding attendees.

  16. Lovely post Charlotte!

    I can't choose an outfit although (despite liking the outfit) I don't think all black to a wedding works...

    I notice Kate has her nails painted in the second photo - something that I have noticed she doesn't seem to do very often at all, not sure why...

    It was nice to see her wearing other rings too...

    Have you heard anything about Kate being spotted in Topshop shopping for maternity clothes this week?


    1. She does wear her nails painted often, but she prefers pale, very natural-looking colors.

  17. Pippa looks quite a bit shorter than Duchess Kate in the pictures. I never noticed this before.

    Love this blog!!!

  18. I love this post! She always looks amazing whatever she wears! I wish I had that luck! By the way, I have seen pictures on the net of Kate in Switzerland. Apparently she is there to attend...a wedding!

  19. Kate, Texas, USA1 March 2013 at 20:32

    Honestly does Kate ever look bad? She is stunning in all her wedding looks! A couple most memorable to me and my favorite looks.... The solid red at David and Emilia's! Charlotte, I think you are right that red is definitely Kate's color. I remember seeing her at the River Pageant this summer in all red and thinking the same...she looks confident and gorgeous in red! Another was the black and white for Sam and Bella's day. I personally love black and white and think you can never go wrong. Kate looks classy and sophisticated. When those pictures emerged I remember thinking how absolutely striking she tall and poised. Simply beautiful! Last and possibly my very favorite was the cobalt blue Issa with the fitted black jacket at Harry and Rosemarie's wedding. I LOVE cobalt blue! Another classy look for Kate and she looked so beautiful and relaxed! I think it might be a favorite also knowing the big secret they were hiding that day of just getting engaged a few days earlier in Kenya. They both looked so happy!

    Again, I think Kate always looks beautiful, but I think a beautiful person inside can't help but radiate beauty on the outside no matter what they are wearing.

    On Peter and Autumn's wedding.... I have always been curious of how that first meeting of the Queen (Granny) went? Did Kate know she would be introduced? What was said? Did Kate remember to curtsey? As Tom Bradby said in the engagement interview, "Not your average meeting". Would love to know the details of their little chat!!! :)

    Great post Charlotte! Have a wonderful weekend!

  20. What a wonderful idea for a post. Thank you! I enjoyed looking back at the various wedding outfits. And doesn't it show what a class act she was from the very beginning!? No wonder William didn't let her get away. :)

    1. Kate, Texas, USA2 March 2013 at 05:26

      Totally agree....class act from the beginning! Even when they split in 2007, it didn't take William long to realize how precious she was and he didn't want to let her get away. He realized she was an absolute treasure! She really is the perfect princess!

  21. Elizabeth in Colorado1 March 2013 at 21:31

    Ironically, Kate and William are currently in Switerland for another wedding. Do you have precognitive abilities, Charlotte? I hope we get to see what she wears! The pictures today just showed her enjoying time with friends, but she was wearing some boots I've never seen before.

  22. Thank you very much for your replies! It is quite a coincidence that William and Kate are attending a wedding tomorrow! Apologies for the weddings not included it was simply an issue of photos (particularly older photos) not being available at the agencies I use. Thank you all for reading x

  23. I actually really like the dress Chelsy Davy wore to Philip & Autumn's wedding! As for Kate, that velvet coat is great, and the Zara spot dress really flatters her figure (that lime green coat on Pippa is horrible though!!) Thanks for a great post Charlotte!

  24. Pauline Oak Hills1 March 2013 at 23:11

    Another great post from our girl Charlotte- Thank you. I like all of her choices. I am not a big dress person but the Duchess really know's how to put together a great dress combo.

    I love your Kate Loves section. I was wondering since we got some great PDA photos of this beautiful couple during the summer. So can you do a "Kate Loves William". You did one long time ago but when you shut down the blog for that few days it was lost. I think now that they are going to be parents it would be really cute to see them as they grew as a couple.

    You are the best Ms. Charlotte.

    1. I'll add it to my list right now Pauline :)

    2. Pauline Oak HIlls2 March 2013 at 03:02

      Ms. Charlotte- Thank you. There are so many great pictures of them showing how much they love each other. And since they are going to be parents it just fits.

    3. Kate, Texas, USA2 March 2013 at 05:19

      LOVE the idea Pauline! I am sure Charlotte with have a great upcoming post! :)

  25. Great pos Charlotte! I have 2 favorites, the cobalt blue dress with the black jacket and the first red dress. I love Kate in blue the most with red being a very close second.

    This was a fun post. You can see that some of her fashion choices have changed a lot. There are a few outfits I can't imagine her wearing now.

    Thanks for your hard work!

  26. Love all the wedding that she went our duchess was lovely indeed

  27. Late to the Kate watching , I really enjoyed seeing the "older" pictures. Thanks for putting this together!

  28. Yes I loved this post-had to comment & say so.
    Oh to be as elegant & beautifully put together as she!! Loved the older ones seeing her before she was engaged & later a Duchess--the true journey! Thanks & goodnight from Australia!

  29. Laura Parker Bowles' wedding gown is stunning! Absolutely beautiful.:))XOXO

  30. Catherine, Czech Republic19 May 2013 at 19:12

    Lovely post! I must agree with you, the cobalt blue Issa dress are definitely my favourite :) It is a proof of Kate's exquisite taste - simple, but very classy. Thank you for running this blog, it is a main source of information - and inspiration for me! :)

  31. A Nice one to look through..Thanks


Comments are most welcome! Constructive discussion is always encouraged but off topic or hateful remarks will not be published. If you wish to share your name and where you're from without using the sign in options, simply select the "Name/URL" option on the drop down menu and insert your name, and if you wish the country/state you're from. You can leave the URL blank.

If there are a large number of comments, it is necessary to click the 'Load More' button at the end of the comments section to see the latest additions.