Monday, 5 March 2012

Kate's First Speech, St. Patrick's Day Plans + More

Two upcoming engagements have been added to Kate's diary for this month. On March 17th, the Duchess will perform her first solo military engagement presenting shamrocks to the Irish Guards at the St Patrick's Day parade at Mons Barracks, Aldershot. Last year Prince William was appointed colonel of the Irish guards and it would seem a natural step for Kate to become involved. St James' Palace said the engagements will mark the beginning of a long-standing relationship between Kate and the regiment.



During the visit Kate will meet hundreds of soldiers and have a private luncheon at the barracks. I'm delighted to see Kate's solo engagements continuing beyond her patronages. Since 1901 it is traditional for the regiment to be presented with shamrock by a member of the royal family. Below we see the Queen Mother photographed with the Irish Guards on St. Patrick's Day.

BBC

Fans of Kate's style will be interested to see what sartorial choices she makes for the day. No doubt she will be accessorising with shamrock and the shamrock brooch previously worn by Kate on Armed Forces day. The Queen Mother and the Princess Royal have worn the brooch numerous times. 

It is entirely possible Kate will opt to wear green or St. Patrick's blue given the occasion. For those of you not familiar with St. Patrick's blue, it is the colour of the sash of the Order of St. Patrick which was founded by George III in 1783. Blue and green are associated with St. Patrick, but green was already associated with the Order of the Thistle, and a dark blue is used by the Order of the Garter, so a light blue was chosen.


************

On March 19th Kate will visit patronage East Anglia's Children's Hospice in Ipswich. Kate will tour the facilities including the music room  and meet staff and supporters. The Duchess will then formally open the hospice known as The Treehouse and plant a tree. Kate will also make her first public address during the visit. Very excited to hear Kate's first speech.

A look at the progression from site to completed hospice.


************

Another busy month for Kate, It's excellent to see an acceleration in her work as a solo royal. The Royals visit to Fortnum and Mason made the cover of Hello this week. Lovely photo by Niraj Tanna.


************

Sources (Hello, BBC, Life, Getty, EACH, Royal Reporter Via Twitter)

19 comments:

  1. I read earlier in the news today about Kate's first speech and I have been checking to see if you had a blog post on it. I am so excited about this. I think is it really great that Kate is going to present the shamrock's on St. Patrick's day. I hope she wears green. I have never heard of St. Patrick's blue. I learn so much reading your blog. I think it is so interesting that she is presenting these shamrocks and that she was chosen to go with the Queen on her first Diamond Jubilee visit on Thursday. I think the Queen is a smart, savvy lady who realizes what a great asset Kate is to the Monarchy. I absolutely cannot wait until Thursday to see Kate with the Queen again. I would love to be a fly on the wall on the train trip with Kate, the Queen, and Prince Philip. Can you imagine the conversation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have added some information for you to the post regarding St. Patrick's blue. Thank you so much for you kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I went back and read it. Thanks for all your hard work.

      Delete
  3. @Rachel- I so agree with you. I am really excited to hear the Duchess's first speech. Let's hope she is not to nervous, the press will rip her apart. I hope her Prince will be home by then and can be with her on this special day. Then what an honor to present the shamrocks to the soldiers. I too wish to be a fly on the wall in that train as the go about their day. Just think about what they will talk about.
    Can' wait to see all the beautiful pictures of the stunning Duchess.

    Duchess Kate- Any news on when the Duchess's Prince will be back in the UK? Thanks for keeping us up to date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel - I like to add some background info on Kate's events and places she visits to give people an impression of what to expect, I also think it's helpful for people not familiar with London. I'm so glad you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jackie = It's an exciting month :)

    Pauline - I will let you know as soon as I hear the confirmed date of William's return, Since it's a solo engagement he won't be accompanying Kate but hopefully he'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too learned about St Patrick's blue. Thank you. :)

    I suspect that she will wear something very understated for her engagement with HM and PP, but she will be somewhat more "bold" on St Patrick's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're most welcome Royafan. You are spot on about Thursday's visit to Leicester, Kate will definitely err on the very conservative side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read somewhere that Lady Gaga's hat designer was making a hat for Kate's visit with the Queen & Prince Philip on Thursday.

      Delete
  8. I love this site and I learn so much. I am from the states and I adore the Duchess. Thank you for this site it brings me happiness to see how well William and Catherine are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your lovely comment Robin! I'm so glad you enjoy the blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to hear Catherine's first speech: I'm sure she will make a great job! Thank's for the ineteresting post. Have a good day.

    Alice

    laparigidimariaantonietta.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keeping fingers crossed for her first speech. I think that she will learn it by heart, she seems to be a person who likes the comfort of being well prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alice and Ardnaskela - The speech will be very interesting I'm sure plans for it are already underway

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some people are suggesting that she might rewear the Mulberry green coat. Yikes, I hope not! It's the perfect color but not my favorite design at all.

    VERY interested to hear her first speech :)

    - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  14. In her wardrobe already she has the green Mulberry dress and the green DVF she wore to L.A. and Zara Philips pre wedding party, but are either of these suitable for presenting shamrocks on St. Patrick's day, I don't really think so unless she wore a nice coat with them.

    She could definitely opt for blue but I expect something new to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous as ever. Looks so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do hope Kate wears a hat Rachel! We haven't seen her wear one for a while.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! Constructive discussion is always encouraged but off topic or hateful remarks will not be published. If you wish to share your name and where you're from without using the sign in options, simply select the "Name/URL" option on the drop down menu and insert your name, and if you wish the country/state you're from. You can leave the URL blank.

If there are a large number of comments, it is necessary to click the 'Load More' button at the end of the comments section to see the latest additions.