Tuesday, 21 February 2012

Kate Wears Orla Kiely For Oxford Visit

Duchess Kate spent today in Oxford visiting two schools in aid of one of her patronages The Art Room. Working with the charity involves art and working with children. An ideal choice for Kate. Whilst waiting for Kate's arrival the children sang 'She'll be coming in a big limo when she comes'.

The colourful Art Room at Rose Hill primary school.

The Art Room offers are therapy to children and young people between the ages of 5 and 16. Art therapy has been proven to raise self esteem and independence. The charity has demonstrated that in a caring and creative environment the most challenging children can learn and achieve through art. If you wish to donate please Click here. You can also purchase items from the online shop.

Julie Beatie who founded the charity ten years ago described her feelings about Kate's involvement.

"It is overwhelming. We are one of the smallest charities in the country and the difference she has already made is incalculable. She is a young, independent, intelligent woman who really wants to make a difference."

Kate was handed a cuddly dog toy and said she wanted to name it after her dog at home 'Lupo'. The name is Latin for wolf. A pupil also handed Kate treats for the cocker spaniel pup. Adorable. During the art class Kate donned an apron with 'Miss Catherine' written on it.

 You can watch The Telegraph Video Here.

Press Association

Kate joined eight children who are working on 'The Owl and the Pussycat' by Edward Lear. The Art Room regularly uses the poem to discuss travel, relationships and generally getting children to share their thoughts. Click Here to read the poem.


The Duchess then visited the Oxford Spires Academy where Duchess Kate was invited to take part in a training session and round table discussion about what art therapy is. Kate was given a piece of art containing flowers by the students. It was reported via Twitter that Prince William takes his mind off missing Kate by going penguin watching in the Falklands. It's quite a long separation for them.

Kate wore the Birdie Wool Jacquard Shirt Dress by Irish designer Orla Kiely. I'm delighted to see Kate choosing a different designer. The dove print dress is currently on sale marked down from £325 to £162.50. As always the dress was snapped up immediately. It is described as

"Wool long sleeve shirt dress in Birdie jacquard fabric. Button through at centre front. Deep pleats in skirt and pockets in side seams. Button fastening at cuff. Available in walnut and slate."

Royal photographer Mark Stewart noted Orla Kiely is known as the 'Queen of Prints', an ideal choice for a visit to the art room. Kiely has also designed yoga mats in aid of Kate's patronage 
Action On Addiction.

Orla Kiely is a truly multi talented designer. Her collections include clothing, handbags, accessories, fragrances and stationary. To find out more take a look at the website.

Kate teamed her dress with brown tights and the aptly named Aquatalia Royal Bootie's. We first saw Kate wearing the boots during an engagement in Anglesey last year. The weatherproof boots are available in espresso nappa suede and black nappa suede for €321. They are described as

"Silvertone hardware details the side of a weatherproof suede bootie fashioned with an elastic inset at the side for an easier fit. The slip resistant rubber sole offers excellent wet weather traction while the soft microfiber lining keeps feet dry. Approx heel height 3 and a half "."

Kate kept it simple in the jewellery department choosing her Kiki McDonough Grace earrings.

Another wonderful solo engagement for Kate. Looking forward to seeing Kate with the Queen next week.


  1. I sooo want her skin!! Alright, good genes, but I cant help wondering what kind of products she uses, what her routine is. Bit curious :)

    I think she looks wonderful today, she is glowing.

  2. Kate has been seeing buying Nivea moisturisers!

    She looks amazing, so well coordinated!

    Thank you for your comments Emma :)

  3. Inadequate clothing, inadequate tissue, suede bootie(!!!) inadequate, even hair monotonous. Look aged. Only speak well because now she is duchess, married to the prince heir. Lack playfulness, lightness... so boring. Always the same face, same hair. Parecd cheap and common.

    Princess Diana, after marrying Prince Charles gave up a grid on your image, but with Kate, it seems the opposite! Again: only speak well for what it is now royalty. The clothes could be worn by the Queen or Camilla.

    Miss princess Diana and her sense of style, presence and more choices of clothing worthy of a princess and her age. She made ​​history in fashion, kate does not make history. Sad but true. And it is still too thin.

    Very, very sad.

    1. You need to quit comparing the Duchess to William's beloved mother. The Prince himself has stated the his Duchess is not taking the place of Princess Di, she is making her own way. The Duchess is beautiful and is always beautifully dressed. I don't understand people like you who always has to put the Duchess down. She is her own person. And by teh way the Duchess has made history, do your research.

    2. If you are going to say something detrimental, at least have the guts to use your real name and not hide behind "Anoymous".

  4. Could have put some weights in the hem of her dress ...
    lacking is a mirror and knowledge (basic) in tissues!
    And a color more vibrant, happier would have been a more appropriate choice.

  5. Oh my goodness!! I love this quirky choice for an outfit--quirky in a very good way. The whole outfit is just fabulous!!! Kate is a natural with children and it is evident that she is going to be very successful in her job. The Queen has to be delighted.

  6. I looked at the website and Orla has some interesting things. I wish she had a store in the USA. I saw several other dresses - particularly an olive green one - that would look fine on Kate. Maybe she wears the dark colors on these visits to hid any dirt or spots since she is interacting with children and going to bars making smoothies... I too think she needs to use weights or a slip under her dresses to avoid any mishaps like in Canada.

    While I was recovering from surgery over the holidays, I found some Aquatalia booties online at several websites - 6PM.com and zappos.com. I purchases a pair of Aquatalia Radical booties for $235 down from $400 plus another pair of Aquatalia slip on suede shoes (that I am wearing right now). I got these for $79 down from $300. I was nervous buying the shoes online but after reading the reviews I decided to splurge. The Aquatalia shoes seem to run narrow and you need to order a half size larger. This is the most I have ever spent on one piece of clothing but worth it. I absolutely love both pairs. The booties Kate has are only found at Nordstrom's in the USA but if you look around the web - there are cheaper (on sale) alternatives in the Aquatalia line.

  7. I don't know why people keep saying awful things about Kate. In my point view, she is absolutely flawless.

  8. Again the Duchess hit it out of the ball park. So beautiful and stunning. Love the boots and the tights. She looked so relaxed. The royal family has to be very proud of the Duchess. She has brought new light to the royal family. Now to make those beautiful eyes to sparkle even more, just bring home her Prince and she will be one very happy Duchess.
    And again thank you Charlotte for a job well done.

  9. What a stunning outfit for Kate! I love the print and lines of the dress paired with the boots.

  10. Thank you for all your lovely comments!

    I just noticed a couple of comments went into my spam box for no apparent reason. I'll be publishing them now! Apologies for the delay.

  11. Thanks for the great post as always. Here's something you might enjoy - I was in Banana Republic the other day and saw a dress that looked a lot like the famous Reiss dress from the Obama visit. What do you know, they're calling it the Kate dress! http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=69887&vid=1&pid=450157 Just another way the duchess has inspired mainstream fashion :)

    1. Shantel (@fashionandfaith)21 February 2012 at 18:54

      OMG Lucy! That dress will be perfect for graduation season!! :) I'm so happy you found it. Thanks for the tip.

  12. Wow lucky lovely dress and so 'Kate'. It's amazing the influence Kate has had on the high street and it's for the better, We were seeing too many crazy trends.

    Thank you for your comment and the link :)

  13. Love the look; love the color; love Kate!! She looked classically beautiful today!
    I must admit I was a bit nervous when I saw the picture of her dress blowing up...maybe a little something to weigh down the hem? But even with that tiny issue, she still looked classic, polished and fantastic!
    That dress...I want it!
    As always, a great post...!
    Thanks :)

  14. Well I missed all the Twitter talk but I am on now & attempting to catch up! lol

    Enjoyed all the photos! I liked Kate in this dress.... I'd make it a bit longer for myself, but she looks nice in it!

    She looks like she was having fun!!! :)

  15. Bekah - I'm a big fan of Orla Kiely and spent too much time shopping for her products :)

    Shantel : Thank you for your comment, I had the exact same thought regarding a 'Marilyn Moment' Luckily Kate avoided it :)

    Lucy - Shantel is spot on perfect dress fr graduation, thank you again for posting.

  16. Kate looked lovely and the dress (print) was a fun choice for a visit with young children.

  17. Gorgeous print royalfan and Orla Kiely is amazing.

  18. I'm picking up on Rachel's comment about 'Anonymous' posting. I allow anonymous posting on the site purely for the convenience of those who wish to comment. Lately there has been an increase in negative comments regarding Kate/The blog in general. The problem is I don't know if its the same poster leaving the comments.

    I would like to stress I welcome all opinions and views once they are not unduly derogatory or offensive. I'll keep a check on the issue, Perhaps we'll consider only having registered user comments (where one gives a name)

    I would appreciate feedback on this.

    1. Hi, I'm Anonymous (but NOT Nasty Nancy Anonymous from above). I appreciate the ease of posting a comment anonymously, rather than linking my user name/log in from other locations to this blog. It's not that I'm worried about the administrator of this blog stealing my info, but one never knows who else could access my info through the blog. I would register as a user if that's the direction this blog needs to go. I've seen it reduce or eliminate hateful posts on other blogs I read. The meanies don't want to take the time to register.

      It always amazes me the trolls that read a fan/appreciation blog only to trash the person for whom the blog was created! Don't they have better things to do with their time? Anyway... onward... I admire the Duchess very much. Nothing she does is self-focused or self-serving; she always puts the focus on her cause or on the public who is there to see her. Even her clothing choices are carefully meant to highlight British designers, up-and-coming designers, or are marked at bargain prices compared to what she could be wearing every day - and thus, showing sensitivity to the unstable economy in which we all still live. I'm sure she has a staff who guide her in some of these decisions, but her demeanor is sincere and it always shines through. You can't "fake" that.

      Great blog, I enjoy reading from the US. Keep up the great work!

  19. She is just amazing!!Gorgeous!!

  20. I'm a little obseesed with Orla Kiely products now....

  21. Amazing! What a cute name for the puppy. Love that dress!

  22. I think she looks great. I love coming on this website and looking at the pictures of kate and also the positive comments about Kate and the work she is doing. Lately, on a lot of other websites, there is so much negativity towards Kate. I think she is doing so great!
    Love this blog!

  23. Duchess, I think I speak for most people here when I say that we sincerely appreciate the time and effort you put into providing this lovely blog for us to follow. It's YOUR blog and you deserve all the positive energy that you provide on a daily basis. Whatever you decide to do, it's your choice and I will be happy to respect it. :)

  24. Royalfan - I thank you your lovely comment and your contribution to the blog is always sincerely appreciated. Your comments are always a joy to read.

    Roxy - Thank you so much. My aim for the blog is for it to provide all the latest 'Kate' news and style finds.

    There are enough hater forums out there without trolls joining in here. I fully respect everyone's opinion, we won't all agree agree on everything but comments being purely hateful towards Kate or the blog will de deemed inappropriate. I'll moderate the negatives ones more carefully.

    Just taking the opportunity to thank all of you who take the time to read and participate. The people who read this blog are simply wonderful!

  25. Duchess Kate, This is a wonderful site you have here for us who love the Duchess. I respect your idea of making it possible a "sign in site". There are people who post here that dislike the Duchess for whatever reason. I my opinion I have no idea why. She is beautiful, caring and is doing what the royal family expect of her. She is not Princess Di, and I don;t like the people on here who are trying to compare the Ducehss to her. Prince William even stated in their first interview together that the Dcuhess is not his beloved mother, what Princess Di did was great but Catherine will find her way. The Duchess has done a wonderful job in her first few enagements as a senior royal. She has brought a new class to the royal family. And in the future the Duchess & her Prince will become more involved once the Prince is finished with his military duties. So let's hope these Duchess haters give her some slack. Or take the time to research what the Duchess has done before they trash her.
    Youhave a wonderful site her and we all like that you take the time out of your day to keep us all posted. Keep up the god work.

  26. Love these pictures!! Thank you so much for posting them!!Love her glowing skin!!!! :))

  27. I love your blog and I absolutely adore Kate and her style.
    Today, I think she missed the mark with the dress...
    But even though the dress is so plain (putting it mildly), the total look is fabulous because she looked happy, even glowing.

  28. I completely agree with you! Sure its possible to not like a dress whatsoever but this isn't the place to be like you said purely hateful towards Kate. You, Kate and your readers don't deserve that. I love this blog because its so positive towards everything. It makes me smile :)

    I'll make an account so you can see its me :)

  29. Thank you for all your lovely comments! You are all wonderful to take the time to comment.

    For the convenience of all those who wish to comment, I'm going to leave the anonymous posting option open and I won't publish anything that appears to be trolling! Thank you all again :)

    A nice video of Kate from yesterday.....


  30. Hmm, I'm not a fan of this dress. At first I thought it was because it has such a childish silhouette to it, but then I realized that so did the yellow Jenny Packham dress from the Canada tour (which actually looks kind of like this one, with shorter sleeves) and I loved that one. I think it's just that I can't see fabric in that color on anything besides, I dunno, an old couch. Sorry, Kate :(

    A big thanks for this blog! I love it :)

    - Sarah

  31. I really like her .. she looks amazing all the time !


Comments are most welcome! Constructive discussion is always encouraged but off topic or hateful remarks will not be published. If you wish to share your name and where you're from without using the sign in options, simply select the "Name/URL" option on the drop down menu and insert your name, and if you wish the country/state you're from. You can leave the URL blank.

If there are a large number of comments, it is necessary to click the 'Load More' button at the end of the comments section to see the latest additions.